Developer (Data Systems Integration)
Bluesquare is a fast growing technology company focusing on Global Health and Development. Bluesquare’s goal is to help Global Health resources get where it matters the most. We partner with Global Health Funds, national governments, health service purchasers, NGOs, and help them make smarter investments in various areas:
- Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E)
- Response to epidemics (Covid19, Polio, etc)
- Health financing and health Insurance
- Geospatial data management and registries
Bluesquare’s technologies are in use in more than 30 countries and support +60 different clients, including the World Bank, the WHO, the Global Fund to Fight HIV, TB and Malaria, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, leading NGOs and consultancies.
We are looking for a developer focused on data systems integration. Bluesquare provides software platforms to support health financing projects across multiple countries, involved in the payments of hundreds of thousands of medical acts. Our work requires integrating and enhancing existing open source software tools to provide solutions that are both practical and maintainable at reasonable cost by public health systems. We are looking for somebody to help us in the maintenance and improvements of our existing software tools, to complement the work of a small existing team lead by one senior software engineer.
The job requires confidence with relational models and working with various web APIs and ideally the ability to contribute to web UIs created using React.
Location: Brussels or Remote.
Team: Bluesquare is a growing company with 60+ staff in multiple countries and organized by project “squads”. We value ownership, autonomy, flexibility, communication and teamwork.
Interested candidates should send their CV/bios and an introduction to email@example.com
Roles & responsibilities
- Analyze the project’s functional and technical requirements: you will need to understand the issues faced by users and how our solutions meet their needs
- Provide clear technical recommendations and roadmaps
- Write technical reports, guidelines, articles and other materials to communicate with our partners and a wider audience
- Contribute to the implementation of projects by helping configuring the products
- Identify missing features to implement these projects, and depending on your level of knowledge/proficiency implement these features in the products.
- Write scripts/tools to verify consistency or integrity of the data platforms (through api or sql ) or import the legacy or initial datasets (from various formats, shape files, xlsx, csv, json)
- Identify opportunities to improve the integrations, making the whole platform more enjoyable to use or configure
- Share your specific tech knowledge with other members of the team.
- Be part of the team of people able to debug and fix running systems, either in the cloud (mainly on AWS) or on premise, generally running our platforms on docker.
Projects in which you could be involved
- Development of a DHIS2 Tracker-based platform to monitor cervical cancer patients in Burkina and Cote d’Ivoire
- Development of a health insurance financing systems across multiple countries, mainly in Africa
Our technical stack
You could have to work with the following technologies and software:
- Python (Django)
- Ruby (Rails),
- AWS (Elastic Beanstalk mainly)
- Kotlin for android
- DHIS2 (Open source software for Health Information Systems)
- Working experience with data systems design and implementation
- Experience with data and analysis
- Strong attention to detail and data accuracy
- At least 3 years experience working in complex projects
- Good oral and written communication skills in French and English
- Working experience in Africa, Asia or Latin America is a plus
- Some familiarity with the public health domain, and with DHIS2
- Ability to work autonomously
- Team player with good interpersonal skills
- Creative thinking
- Clear and structured communication
What we offer
- Competitive Salary and benefits package
- Flexible work hours and remote working
- Exciting projects: use data to solve major issues in low- and middle-income countries (Health, Education, Waste management and more)
- Impact : manage data platforms impacting the lives of thousands of people
- Network: work in collaboration with a wide variety of actors within countries (Ministries, Donors, NGOs, Implementing partners, field staff, etc.)
- Hands-on experience: on-site visits and in-depth situation analysis
- Exciting work environment: join a result-oriented, dynamic & diverse team committed to improve the accessibility and quality of health services, especially for the poorest