Data Integration Platform
An open-source, collaborative data integration and analysis platform for public health
In most data projects, experts face the same issues :
On the one hand, data is almost always scattered across many systems and organizations – with varying quality and format.
On the other hand, data specialists often work in silos, with their own version of the data and their own tools
OpenHEXA attempts to solve those problems with a collaborative platform that helps data experts build actionable data products.
OpenHEXA allows data analysts, data scientists and data engineers to :
- Consolidate data from different sources into ready-to-use datasets
- Analyze data, perform custom computations and build data models
- Automate complex data workflows with data pipelines
- Share data and code with other experts
It has been designed for projects that require a solution that is more open, more flexible and more affordable than the typical commercial platforms built for huge companies with big engineering teams.
As an example, the Ministry of Health in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is using OpenHEXA to improve surveillance, and monitoring & evaluation of the service delivery system.
- First, the relevant sources from different parts of the health system are imported in OpenHEXA. Those data sources are owned by different organizations and differ in nature and format : service delivery data from DHIS2, epidemiological surveillance data in Excel format, geospatial data…
- In a second step, those primary sources are enriched with climate data acquired through automated data pipelines running on OpenHEXA.
- The third stage is the analysis stage : data analysts run different models and analyses such as accessibility of health services or risks of emergence of epidemic outbreaks.
- Finally, the datasets and results described in the previous steps are made available to different users in different formats, such as visualization dashboards, automated reports, Excel exports, or infographics.